Sunday, February 12, 2012

Happy Digital Scratch Art Valentine's Day!


Happy Valentine's Day everyone!  I hope you enjoy this art Valentine that I Photo-shopped especially for you.  
It's funny how one thing leads to another isn't it?  
Middle School students requested scratch art when I polled them last week.  And we're about to get started when I happened across Nicole Dalesio's PhotoShop for Kids of All Ages.  Her tutorials are tops! Things being as the are, digital scratch art caught my eye and I had to give it a go.   Super simple and a great "getting started with Photoshop" project for kids.  Basically, open a new file.  Go to "layers" and select "new fill layer" select gradient.  Choose the gradient you want.  Go to "layers"  select "new fill layer" select black.  Use the eraser tool to scratch.  It's that easy.
Do you include digital art projects in your lessons?  
Why or why not?
I'm going to try this one with kids this month.
Lots of other great projects on Nicole's site and I hope you'll check them out.
Happy Scratching!  

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I just spent a little time over at that site playing around!! I am working up to investing in Photoshop and am doing a bit of researching, so this was helpful:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny- scratch art has to be my Middle Year students favourite project of all time as well. My student teacher taught it to them and I thought originally they would find it a bit cheesy. Boy, was wrong! Some even went out and bought scratch art kits at Michaels afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I just got five Ipad 2's for my room and have no idea what I'm gonna do with them. I have 30-35 kids to a class!!! I love this tutorial though! It would be great for a small group!! How do you make the little falling drips?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The snowflakes are a bit of code that I copied and pasted into the "add a widget" part of my blog.

    I tried to post the code for you, but alas, can't post the HTML...I guess it confuses the computer.

    b

    ReplyDelete